Gaming in Holland at ICE

Yesterday, Gaming in Holland, together with Speel Verantwoord, held its now traditional lunch at ICE London. The event was a huge success, bringing together the Who’s Who of the Dutch gaming industry – operators, consultants, affiliates, and press –  for a two-hour lunch at the Excel Centre. Check out our photos of the event here.

One of the main topics of conversation at the GiH / Speel Verantwoord Lunch was the recently announced plan of the Dutch ruling government coalition parties to implement a 29% tax rate on online gaming. Representatives of the international gaming industry expressed surprise at this apparent failure to draw lessons from other countries, warning that such a high rate would leave the Netherlands still a long way away from a healthy iGaming market with a sufficient level of player protection.

The event also saw the announcement of the date for the 2016 Gaming in Holland Conference. This year’s edition will take place on June 7, 2016 at Amsterdam RAI, the same location as the 2016 iGaming Super Show. Save the date!


Should Dutch Sports Rely Exclusively on De Lotto for External Funding?

The sponsorship deal between the Royal Dutch Cycling Union (KNWU) and Unibet, which was announced last week, certainly caused a great uproar. Dutch sports lottery De Lotto, for instance, accused the KNWU of “underming solidarity in Dutch sports,” adding that the new deal would limit opportunities for De Lotto to generate revenue for the Dutch sports sector as a whole.

Noted sports marketeer Chris Woerts, former marketing director of Feyenoord and EPL side Sunderland, strongly disagrees with De Lotto’s criticisms. Woerts calls the sponsorship deal a clear “win-win situation,” even going as far as accusing De Lotto of rank hypocrisy.

As it turns out, only 70% of De lotto’s contributions to good causes end up benefiting Dutch sports. The other 30% goes to a separate foundation, ALN, which supports generic good causes. Asked for comment Woerts said: “Instead of 100%, De Lotto only provides 70% of its charitable contributions to sports. The nearly omnipresent claim that De Lotto’s singular raison d’être is to support sports is evidently false!”

As the charitable contributions of De Lotto are not exclusively dedicated to sports, it appears far from obvious that sports associations and unions should rely exclusively on De Lotto for external funding.

Perhaps, then, a broader discussion – also taking into account De Lotto’s structurally declining revenues – on the appropriate sources of funding for Dutch sports is in order.


Dutch State Lottery Dodges (for Now) €300 Million Claim

Last year, the Supreme Court of the Netherlands found that the Dutch State Lottery, between 2000 and 2007, customarily misrepresented the odds of winning by having large numbers of unsold tickets participating in their drawings. In response, Stichting Loterijverlies is bringing a class action lawsuit against the lottery, claiming €300 million in damages.

Even though new lottery advertising rules were recently introduced in the Netherlands to prevent any such repetition, the District Court in The Hague on Wednesday rejected a series of preliminary claims by Stichting Loterijverlies.

Meanwhile, reports are surfacing that Loterijverlies founder Ferdy Roet has been using the contributions of the members of Stichting Loterijverlies for private gain, causing Roet to lodge a series of criminal complaints alleging “slander, defamation and racism” against Telegraaf reporter Bart Mos.


Other News

Brick-and-mortar Holland Casino just launched a new app for building customer loyalty.


The Netherlands Gaming Authority sanctioned several payment service providers for offering services to unlicensed gaming operators.


The District Court in Amsterdam recently found that poker is a game of skill, rather than a game of chance. The exact legal implications of this finding, however, remain as of yet unclear.


The European Association for the Study of Gambling (EASG) is holding its 11th European Conference on Gambling Studies and Policy Issues on September 13-16, 2016, in Lisbon, Portugal.


The new Betfair-Paddy Power combination is likely to be making some waves.


Danish operator Danske Spil helped to develop “the world’s first online gambling site for betting on share movements.” And yes, this is different from trading in binary options.


Italy sees very strong online gaming growth, with Bet365 dominating the sports betting market.


Game developer NetEnt released a hard rocking Guns N’ Roses video slot.