Janshen-Hahnraths Group to focus on land-based and online casino activities
Janshen-Hahnraths Group, owner of the Fair Play Casino amusement arcade chain, has divested its business unit responsible for operating gaming machines in the catering industry. The business unit Janshen-Hahnraths Exploitatie BV has been transferred to RW Horeca Exploitatie BV.
As reason for the divestment, the Janshen-Hahnraths group cited its strategic decision to focus on Fair Play Casino and Fair Play online.
Swedish regulator: Covid-19 impact on problem gambling will not become apparent until autumn
The Swedish gambling regulator (Spelinspektionen) has warned that any impact of the Covid-19 crisis on problem gambling figures will not be apparent until later in 2020 at the earliest.
According to Sweden’s National Association of Gambling Addicts (Spelberoendes Riksforbund), some players who previously only bet on sports have started participating in a broader range of gambling products. Since sports had begun to return, these players had continued to gamble across multiple verticals.
However, Sweden’s national problem gambling helpline noted that median scores on the Problem Gambling Severity Index, were “basically the same” as before the pandemic hit.
The following events may be of interest to members of the GiH community:
- Registration for the 2020 Gaming in Holland Conference, which will take place September 22 in Amsterdam, is now open.Netherlands Gambling Authority chairman René Jansen has agreed to be the conference’s keynote speaker. Learn of the latest developments before the Dutch regulated online market opens in 2021.
While you are staying in Amsterdam, don’t miss iGB Live, September 22-25. One city, one trip, two events!
- The 2020 Gaming in Germany Conference will take place on October 19, 2020 in Berlin – one day prior to iGB Berlin 2020. More details to follow soon. Save the date!
- Don’t miss the 2020 Gaming in Spain Conference “Navigating new opportunities and restrictions in a mature market” on November 12 at the Wanda Metropolitano in Madrid. More details to follow soon!
- Betting on Sports America, the largest dedicated sports betting trade show in the world, returns to Meadowlands, New Jersey from 1 – 3 December.
- The World Gaming Executive Summit will return to Barcelona from 7 – 9 December. Key themes on the agenda include AI, the future of land-based gaming, CSR, sustainable marketing, regulation updates, fantasy sports, and emerging marketing opportunities.
TOTO concludes sponsorship agreements with Dutch top league football clubs
Current Dutch sports betting monopolist TOTO has concluded betting partnership agreements with domestic top football league sides Sparta, Willem II, FC Utrecht, FC Groningen, and sc Heerenveen.
Additional agreements – likely with FC Twente and ADO Den Haag – are expected to be announced shortly.
The sponsorship contracts will run for three years, with an option to extend to five years. The deals will net the participating clubs an unspecified amount, which is estimated to be between €200,000 and €300,000 annually.
The response term for the public consultation on the Netherlands Gambling Authority’s market vision has been extended until September 10, 2020.
In a personal blog post, Netherlands Gambling Authority chairman René Jansen discusses the underlying considerations behind the regulator’s recently published market vision.
Holland Casino received close to €32m in emergency government subsidies to preserve employment during the Covid-19 lockdown.
Francesco Rodano, Chief Policy Officer at Playtech, discusses what long-term lessons the gambling industry can draw from the Covid-19 lockdown.
Betsson has reported a record revenue of €149.6m for Q2 2020, up 20% compared to the same period in the previous year.
Evolution Gaming has reported an 85% EBITDA increase in H1 2020.
Evolution Gaming’s top shareholder Richard Livingstone is selling stock worth as much as 5.91 billion kronor (€580 million) in the Swedish company
GVC has reported a 21% increase in online net gaming revenue for H1 2020 as strong digital growth softened severe retail declines due to Covid-19.
GVC Holdings is facing renewed scrutiny from UK authorities over the company’s former Turkey-facing online gambling operations.
Novomatic Group has been named Austria’s second-most valuable brand with a valuation of €3.54bn.
Catena Media expects to post record quarterly revenue and profit for Q2 2020, despite the impact caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Online casino group Genesis Global Limited has been placed under immediate investigation by the UK Gambling Commission, with the regulator citing unspecified compliance issues.
Casinos will reopen in England on 1 August, after the latest easing of coronavirus pandemic restrictions from the UK Government.