Save the Date: KSA Chairman, René Jansen to Speak at GiH Breakfast Briefing
On December 17, 2019, Gaming in Holland will organize a breakfast briefing in Amsterdam to update all interested parties on the latest regulatory developments in the Dutch gambling market.
The GiH Breakfast Briefing will take place shortly after the General Consultation on gambling policy in the Dutch Lower House on November 27.
In other words, this promises to be an excellent moment to take stock of everything that happened in the six months since the 2019 Gaming in Holland Conference.
Confirmed speakers include:
- René Jansen, Chairman of the Netherlands Gambling Authority
- Peter-Paul de Goeij, Director of Speel Verantwoord
- Justin Franssen, Managing Partner at Kalff Katz & Franssen
- Sanne Muijser, General Secretary of VAN Kansspelen
Earlier editions of the GiH Breakfast Briefing were held in 2015 and 2017.
Registration for the event will open soon!
50 Suspicious Betting Alerts Reported by the International Betting Integrity Association in Q3
The International Betting Integrity Association (IBIA) reported 50 cases of suspicious betting to the relevant authorities during the third quarter (Q3) of 2019, bringing the annual total so far to 138 cases. Tennis (30) and football (15) constituted 90% of all alerts reported during Q3, with Europe (42%) and Asia (36%) maintaining their positions as the primary location of sporting events on which alerts were generated during that period.
The 50 alerts reported during Q3 covered six sports, spanning five different continents. This is very similar to the 51 alerts reported in Q2 2019, but is a reduction of 30% on the 72 alerts in Q3 2018.
Khalid Ali, Secretary General of the International Betting Integrity Association, stated: “The year to date has seen a significant downturn in alerts, notably on tennis. We welcome the ongoing efforts of the sport to work closely with us and to identify and impose sanctions on corrupt players.”
The following events may be of interest to members of the GiH community.
- Join MGM, Google, Hard Rock, GVC, Facebook, The Stars Group, William Hill, and many more in New York City, November 5 – 6, at Sports Betting USA.
- On 5 November, 2019, the Swedish Trade Association for Online Gambling (BOS) will organize a lunch seminar on match-fixing and the new directives for betting on Swedish sports. If you wish to attend, RSVP no later than October 31 to email@example.com.
- The second edition of European Gaming Congress, which will we held on 8 November 2019 in Milan, will feature a Benelux market update that will offer a wealth of information about the gambling industry in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
- Attend Reputation matters: the gambling sector in the spotlight on 7 November, 2019 in London to learn more about the key issues and challenges surrounding the public perception of the gambling industry. Kenny Alexander, CEO of GVC, will deliver the opening keynote.
- Save the Date! VAN Kansspelen is organizing a general product exhibition on 20 November, 2019 in Hotel van der Valk in Tiel. More information is available here.
- This year’s Gaming in Spain Conference, which takes place 21 – 22 November, 2019 in Madrid, will focus on sustainable advertising, as well as brand perception and popularity in the maturing Spanish iGaming market.
- On 19 December, the Faculty of Law of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam will organize a one-day conference titled Supervision, inspection, and enforcement with regard to gambling in the Netherlands. The conference will be chaired by Endowed Professor of Sports and Law, Marjan Olfers.
- GamblingCompliance Global Regulatory Awards 2020, which celebrate excellence in compliance and responsible gambling initiatives, will be awarded on 22 April, 2020 at the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms in Central London.
- The World Gaming Executive Summit will return to Barcelona from 30 June – 2 July, 2020. Key themes on the agenda include AI, the future of land-based gaming, CSR, sustainable marketing, regulation updates, fantasy sports, and emerging marketing opportunities.
- World Regulatory Briefing now offers a series of free webinars on topics related to responsible gaming.
Dutch Gov’t Aims to Democratize Control over Lottery Remittances to Charities and Good Causes
In response to a recent report on philanthropy in the Netherlands by the Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR), Minister Sander Dekker for Legal Protection informed the Lower House that the government supports the report’s recommendation to democratize the control over the destination of the mandatory remittances made by licensed charity lotteries.
Minister Dekker wrote:
“The government considers it important that consumers who purchase lottery tickets support the ultimate destination of the mandatory remittances, that (potential) beneficiaries have sufficient access to the lottery system, and that beneficiaries receive their contributions without any strings attached. These principles will be leading in the drafting of future policy.”
On 23 November, Holland Casino Scheveningen will launch its NXT concept for new and inexperienced players.
The 28th edition of the Master Classics of Poker will take place between 22 November and 1 December at Holland Casino Amsterdam.
Nederlandse Loterij is looking to hire a Social Media Manager.
Jack’s Casino has agreed a partnership with GLORY: COLLISION 2, the long-awaited rematch between Rico Verhoeven and Badr Hari.
Italy’s retail gambling machine operators will bear the brunt of the country’s new tax plan, while punters have been spared a proposed tax on their gambling winnings.
Denmark’s online gambling operators have dramatically ramped up their advertising presence in recent years despite efforts to impose voluntary curbs on marketing activity.
The Belgian National Lottery has joined forces with instant win games provider IWG to enhance its online gambling offering and drive the next stage of its digital growth strategy.
Norwegian state gaming operator Norsk Tipping has confirmed that sports betting omnichannel platform supplier Optima has won the tender to supply the firm with a new sportsbook integral solution for potentially the next twelve years.
Swedish gambling regulator Spelinspektionen has cleared four operators of any wrongdoing over allegations that they offered betting on sporting events where the majority of participants were under the age of 18.
The Swedish Consumer Agency (KO) has begun its legal challenge against Global Gaming subsidiary Elec Games over the marketing of the Ninja Casino brand in Sweden, with the aim of establishing a legal precedent as to what constitutes “moderate advertising.”
Betfred has sold its remaining 75% stake in the UK Tote to Alizeti Capital, which, following the acquisition, renamed itself the UK Tote Group.
Gaming Innovation Group (GiG) has acquired 75% of the shares in Croatian company Top Games, which can legally operate in Croatia remotely with a gambling license.
Åland Islands-based Paf has joined forces with four other operators on a new initiative to strengthen their responsible gaming efforts in Latvia.
Bet4Pride is preparing to enter the UK iGaming field as a new white label sportsbook and casino operator licensed through BetConstruct. Bet4Pride will donate 10% of its profits to global foundations supporting the LGBT+ community.
Google is planning to unblock online casino adverts in the US gambling market by the first quarter of 2020.
Casino operator MGM Resorts International has agreed to sell its iconic Bellagio Las Vegas property and form a joint venture with Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, in a deal worth $4.25bn.