The Dutch Are Coming… to ICE
The 2018 edition of ICE London welcomed 33,536 visitors, with no fewer than 658 attendees hailing from the Netherlands – good for ninth place in the largest represented country ranking.
In case you would like to connect with the Dutch gaming industry, meet us at:
Stand N3-422 is THE meeting point for the Dutch industry. Visit us to get your personal copy of the latest issue of the Gaming in Holland Magazineand learn more about the upcoming edition of the annual Gaming in Holland Conference.
- On Tuesday February 5, 16:30 – 18:30, Gaming in Holland and Leasewebwill co-host networking drinksto give ICE attendees the opportunity to discuss the latest developments in the Dutch gaming market.The GiH/Leaseweb get-together will take place at The Pyramid, Excel Centre’s very own sports bar, conveniently located directly above the West Entrance. Feel free to drop by on your way out to dinner or another meeting. All those interested in the Dutch land-based or online markets are welcome. Reservations are not required.
- Last but not least, on Wednesday February 6, the largest Dutch network meeting of ICE will take place at the Eurocoin Holland Party. Meet the Eurocoin team at stand s6-310 for all the details.
The following events may be of interest to members of the GiH community.
- Part of the larger ICE 2019 Conference, ICE VOX will feature sessions on the regulatory issues surrounding advertising and marketing, as well as the application of artificial intelligence in event prediction and responsible gaming.
- Renowned businessman David Goldsmith hones in on ten simple steps to drive innovation, performance, favorable business outcomes and profits. He will reveal the must-do actions every gaming decision maker should learn at an upcoming American Gaming Association webinar on Tuesday, February 13, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. ET.
- Betting on Sports America is the largest sports betting conference & exhibition in the US, featuring 175 leading industry speakers across 40 sessions. The event is scheduled to take place 23 – 25 April, 2019 in New York/New Jersey.
- The GamblingCompliance Global Regulatory Awards 2019, which celebrate excellence in compliance and responsible gambling initiatives, will be awarded on 1 May, 2019, at the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms in Central London.
- 115+ speakers already confirmed their attendence at the World Gaming Executive Summit, 2-4 July 2019 in Barcelona.
- The International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR) is officially calling for speakers for its 2019 Annual Conference to be held in Montego Bay, Jamaica from 30 September to 3 October 2019. Submissions are due by 1 February.
Report: 1.8m Dutch Citizens Gambled Online in 2018 – Full Download Available
Over 1.8m million Dutch citizens gambled online in 2018, a 20% increase compared to 2016. The total unauthorized online market was worth almost €600m last year. These are the main findings of a new report drawn up by research agency Motivaction and commissioned by Holland Casino.
Sportsbetting (44%) and casino games (39%) take up the largest share of the market, followed by bingo (13%) and poker (5%).
Solid majorities among online players across all product verticals expressed their preference for patronizing locally licensed operators.
“An increasing number of Dutch consumers gamble online. Most of these do not even realize that online gambling is illegal and that they are paying without any form of legal protection,” commented Holland Casino CEO Erwin van Lambaart.
The full report is available here.
Senate Vote on Remote Gaming Bill – What Happens Next?
On February 5, the Dutch senate is scheduled to debate both the Remote Gambling Bill and Casino Reform Bill, with a final vote on both bills expected during the subsequent week.
Although nobody knows for certain what is going to happen, a brief overview of what we can reasonably expect is available at the GiH website: “3 questions on the upcoming Senate vote on the Dutch remote gaming and casino reform bills.”
For a description of the long and tortuous (and, as of yet, unfinished) journey toward legal online gambling in the Netherlands look here: “After thirteen years, would it really…?”
The Netherlands Gaming Authority proposes to introduce so-called “technical information leaflets” that indicate to what extent gaming machines may be modified without running afoul of existing model approvals.
Former PokerStars marketing manager Gilbert den Hertog explains why a new Dutch gambling law will be good for everyone.
Belgian Gaming Commission official Marjolein De Paepe stated last week that the regulator had begun sanction procedures against Betway citing “cumulative licenses and a lack of transparency.”
EA Sports are set to end the saleof FIFA Ultimate Team points in Belgium, in response to a ruling in the country against “unregulated gambling.”
The Malta Gaming Authority has suspended the license of the company behind online gambling site GameBet.com.
Both Swedish gamblers and the general public are unsatisfied with the Swedish online gambling industry, according to a study carried out by the Swedish Quality Index (Svenskt Kvalitetsindex).
Betfred will open an office in Ceuta in order to take advantage of the tax benefits offered by the Spanish government to gaming companies based in the autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla.
888 has been granted an online gaming license in Portugal, becoming the 10th operator to be approved by the regulator.
888 has named Itai Pazner as its new chief executive, with Itai Freiberger to step down from the London-listed operator’s executive team after eight years.
Cherry shareholders have approved the takeover of the online gaming operator by Swedish private equity consortium Entertainment Intressenter BidCo AB.
The governances of Paddy Power Betfair (PPB) and The Stars Group Incheld mutual talks in late 2018, discussing a ground-breaking merger. The discussions are reportedly no longer taking place.
EGR has released a report on the possible impact of AI on the global gaming industry.
Platform provider FSB is to offer Lottoland’s full portfolio of lottery games after signing up for the operator’s turnkey B2B lottery betting service.
Betway has agreed a sponsorship deal with German esports team Berlin International Gaming (BIG).
Evolution Gaming has signed a live casino deal with DraftKings in New Jersey.
An estimated 22.7 million Americans will bet on the Super Bowl, most of them illegally.